Watch the video above or read the steps below to learn how to replace a gas strut (part number: 70.699) on a Merritt Synergy chair system.
- 6 MM Allen Wrench
- 13 MM Socket Wrench
- 2×4 Piece of Wood (or something to rest the console on after the strut is removed)
- Using an Allen wrench and socket wrench, remove the console stop. This will allow you to flip the console all the way up to extend the gas strut completely.
- Flip up the console (as far as possible) using the adjustment lever. Place a 2×4 piece of wood ()or something that will stand upright) underneath the front of the console. When the gas strut is removed, this will give the console something to rest on.
- Using a socket wrench remove the two nuts on the opposite ends of the gas strut.
- Slowly remove the gas strut from the carrier and console bracket. Have someone hold the console while you do this, so the console doesn’t immediately fall.
- Lift the console completely up and slide the new gas strut into place on the carrier frame and console bracket.
- Reinstall the two bolts on the opposite end of the strut using a socket wrench.
- Lower the console down to a typical operating position. Reinstall the console stop using an Allen wrench and socket wrench.
- Finally, test the operation of the console tilt adjustment.
For more information on the Merritt Synergy chair systems and seat spare parts, check out the links below:
- Merritt Synergy Literature
- Operator Chair System Service Bulletin
- Seating & Chair System Spare Parts